What are the folic acid supplements that I can get in my regular diet?

What are the folic acid supplements that I can get in my regular diet? Or is it necessary to take them through medication?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Folate is very important for the prevention of congenital malformations as it synthesizes DNA.The dietary sources XXXXXXX in folate are egg yolk , XXXXXXX leafy vegetables , yeast , cereals , bread , liver etc.It also prevents preterm delivery and placental abruption as well as intrauterine growth retardation.Dietary sources are not sufficient in pregnancy as the demand is more for the growth of fetus so it is better to take its supplements , 5 mgm twice daily during first trimester as it is the period of organogenesis.These days an active form of folic acid called macfolate is also available but should be taken under doctor's prescription.

Best wishes
Good luck
Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: What are the folic acid supplements that I can get in my regular diet? 4 hours later
Thanks for the response.
Doctor, I'm suffering from PCOS. My periods are regular unlike the most common symptoms of PCOS. I'm not overweight and have no other symptoms of irregularities. Kindly advise on how my medical condition can affect my chances of getting pregnant.

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 hours later

If your periods are regular and you are not overweight then chances of getting pregnant are good.You can take ovacare forte tablets along with your homeopathic medicine as there is no harm taking them.Take them under doctor's guidance and prescription.Get your hormone studies done like FSH , LH , Prolactin , insulin resistance test , oestradiol , progesterone and testosterone along with thyroid profile.
PCOD can be managed by proper diet , exercises and weight control.
Best wishes