Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the fluids that could aid in reducing stones or assists in passing them?

Jul 2016

I've heard that cranberry juice is a good urinary track cleanser. Is that true or not?
Other than water, are there other fluids that could aid in reducing stones or assisting in passing them?
I am a 55 yr old male, and have frequent (10+ per day) visits to the bathroom with low volume.
My water & coffee intake is 48 oz + per day.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have problem of increased frequency of urination and low volume of urine while you void every time..
I shall be happy if you can post few more details to help me to make any comment on your problem.
1) Do you have Diabetes ?
2) Do you have Nocturnal frequency of urination (Do you have to get up more than twice in night to pass urine) ?
3) How is your urine stream (Poor or normal) ?
4) Do you have urinary stones ? If yes what is the location of stone?

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination to rule out enlarged prostate which is common at this age.

He/She may advise you to undergo following basic tests to diagnose your problem.
1) Routine urine test
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen.with post void residue of urine.

As regards your query the efficacy of can-bury juice in helping to pass stones I would like to state that canbury Juice has diuretic action increasing the production of urine.

There is no fluid that can help to reduce the stone formation or help in passing stones.
The passing of the stone is a natural process that can be accomplished by passing more urine by consuming more water.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: What are the fluids that could aid in reducing stones or assists in passing them? 4 days later
Answers to your questions as follows:
1. Diabetes, no
2. normally one trip around 4am
3. slightly cloudy which I'd call normal.
4. Urinary stones? unknown, but I did pass a stone-s last year after a similar round of this.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Thanks for feedback.
Increased frequency of utrination at this age acn be due to Benign Enlargement of Prostate.
Please consult qualified for clinical and digital rectal examination .He may advise to you to undergo following basic tests to come to concusion
1) Routine rine Test
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to rule out Enlarged Prostae and presence of stone in any whare in Urinary System.

Further treatment will depend upon results of these teats.
Thanks and Regards.