What are the flu symptoms?

ENT Specialist
I was wondering what the current flu symtoms are. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The flu symptoms to watch out for are:
a. Sudden onset, high grade fever not responding to anti-pyretic medication.
b. Body ache, headache
c. Malaise, fatigue
d. Cold, cough

2. To differentiate the severe forms from the common viral type, you will need a medical opinion. It is prudent to get one immediately as anti-viral medication is most effective if started within 48 hours of onset of symptoms.

3. Current flu strains are H1N1 and H3N2 variants. A throat swab is required to detect these viral strains.

4. Most flu infections are mild and no cause for worry. Keep warm, well hydrated and take adequate medication and rest.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.