What are the findings from the ultrasound report?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi I have had a diagnostic mamo and us and now follow up ultrasound, Report says still believes several solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas. Then there is just another line that says 3cm axillary lymph node. The report six months ago says 1.6 cm lymph node. The radiologist has not put any BIRAD score or suggested follow up and the breast surgeon linked to the hospital is on maternity leave with no replacement. I am going out of my mind with worry . Should I worry that it says 3cm axillary lymph node ? I looked this up - this is not a normal size ? I cant see the breast surgeon till she gets back but I dont know whether to financially expose myself and see a new surgeon on a whim that it ' may ' be something. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for ? PS I have tried the radiologist and they dont let me speak to them so I am a standstill. Advice would be appreciated thankyou
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Highly suspicious of breast cancer Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Presence of axillary lymph node along with breast lumps is highly suggestive of breast cancer. Fibroadenomas are usually not associated with axillary lymph node(s). A family history of breast cancer increases the possibility of breast cancer in other family members. You should go for aspiration cytology of the breast lump(s). This is simple office procedure in which is small needle is inserted into the lump, cells are aspirated, and spread on glass slide. These cells are stained and examined microscopically. This investigation determines the type and character of the lesion. This will let the doctor know whether the lesion is cancer or simple fibroadenoma. Further management will depend on the result of the investigation. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: What are the findings from the ultrasound report? 8 minutes later
Thank you . I chose a radiologist as I was hoping you could look at the US of the axilary lymph for me ? Did you review it ? I have the US of the lumps if this helps. I know it sounds silly but when it costs me a lot of money I dont want to have to push to see a dr if it isnt necessary. I read a 3cm ax lymph node wasnt normal but shape and fatty hileum etc are all useful diagnostics. Do you see anything in the US that would concern you at all ?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further investigation is required Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Yes, I reviewed the ultrasound report. Lymph node enlargement is common in reactive conditions, however, when associated with breast lump there is high suspicion of carcinoma breast. Since, you have a family history of breast cancer, it becomes more essential to confirm the nature of the lesion. Even if the lesion turns out to be fibroadenoma, that too needs to be surgically removed. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: What are the findings from the ultrasound report? 12 minutes later
thank you and sorry to press Does anything in the us for the lymph node look suspicious ? Does it have all the signs of a normal node apart from the size ? I will still have the biopsies done I just need to determine how quickly I go becuase of Insurance issues here for me if I go sooner it will cost more and its a hard decision. Because the radiologist has not commented at all on the node I dont have anything to base a decision on ?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Difficult to comment on presence of cancer in LN Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, It is difficult to comment confidently whether cancer is present in the lymph node or not. Thanks Dr Shailja P Wahal