What are the findings from the ultrasound of uterus?

Yes I am 50 years old and was put on Bio Identical a year ago, I have been having bloating about a week every month I have never had before. They did my blood and said I was in the gray area of menopause I still was having a light period every 28 to 30 days. They did a ultra sound and said the uterus was 6.3 -3.2 -4.0 the endometrial stripe measures 3mm but the endometrial stripe is prominent lower uterine segment measuring up to 10mm. They did this the last day of my period. They said my ovaries looked normal. When I went to the D.R for results she wanted to up my progesterone and wait 2 months and do a M.R.I she said that might take care of it. I asked what it could be she said a tumor I do not understand why I am waiting if that is the case. Scary stuff.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There are 2 reasons for that ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I can understand how you are both concerned and worried, but I shall explain your doctors action in a way you can best understand. There are two major reasons why your doctor prefers to wait and watch how the growth looks after 2 months: 1. Based on the current information your doctor has, it does sound like a growth/tumor, but we can never be a 100 % sure without laboratory confirmation of the same. It is protocol to always watch the growth for a while, before any invasive procedures are conducted. So, although a biopsy would help to identify the growth immediately, it would not be advised: because if this (god forbid) turns out to be a cancer, then the biopsy itself can lead to spread of the cancer cells to surrounding structures due to the invasive procedure; which will be considered a major blunder 2. Another reason why we need to wait and watch the response, and conduct an MRI only after a short duration is because the progesterone can at times promote tumor growth, which can result in an increase in the size of the tumor. If this takes place, then it can be monitored and diagnosed by conducting the MRI after a duration of 2 months I hope I have succeeded in explaining this to you in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.