What are the findings from the ultrasound after having a miscarriage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
HI.. I was diag. w a missed miscarriage,after passing blood clots, the next day I delivered in bathtub at home to a clearly 8-12 embryo, about the size of a index finger, 3 cm maybe , went to hospital and it was sent off to lab for further testing but no scan for me , is that normal… My ultrasound intra showed mild endometrial thickening and heterogeneity, with an anechoic, structure seen the endometrial canal, which may represent a gest. sac versus a pseudo sac. If this does not indeed represents an irregular failed gets. sac, the measurement yield an set. best. age by ultrasound of the 5 wk 3 day. ( which i told that i thought was the age) There is no yolk sac or embryo seen ….. can you explain this for me please
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. When an embryo develops, there are other components to it apart from the fetus/ embryo itself. The gestational age is recorded by the sac diameter in the initial few weeks and then the crow rump length. The visibility of fetal cardiac activity and yolk sac is important for the viability of the fetus. The ultrasound age is always compared with the gestational age derived from onset of the last menstrual period. Having said the above, it would be important to know the estimated gestational age calculated by your last menstrual period and its comparison with the ultrasound age correspondingly. 5 weeks 3 days is very early in terms of seeing the embryo and if embryo is not seen a repeat ultrasound scan is suggested in a week or two weeks to see the embryo and cardiac activity. What was expelled in your bathtub might be the entire products of conception leaving little room for any retained material in the uterus. Hence your doctors have declined the need for an ultrasound. Should there be any vaginal bleeding or pelvic discomfort, please consult your doctor and then an ultrasound scan might be necessary. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek