What are the findings from the torch test and should I take HSV test again?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hello doctor,this is XXXX.hope you remember me. I didn't get much help on nimhans and other hospitals and all are neglecting cmv and rubella infections and telling it wont create any problems.based on my request mri done and it looks fine. I took some siddha medicines and it cleared mild fever and throat infections,abdominal pains and feeling energetic and got real feeling.but still vision problems not cleared and not feel like original as before.main symptoms now feeling not original as before,something kepts me in control blurred vision black spots moving infront of my eye light sensitiveness eye specialist mntioned it may be due to chorioretinitis lab technician in india asked me to check torch panel and result shows cmv,rubella,and hsv having antibodies but ebv and taxoplasmosis looks negative. hsv 1 nd 2 I got two times negative before and not sure how it shows antibodies now. please confirm the serioueness of torch panel positive and do I need to check hsv test again because I got negative before two times. im not able to attch docs here
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 21 hours later
Brief Answer: TORCH infections Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX How do you do? Welcome back to health care magic. I understand your concern that you still are not feeling normal as before, but based on the investigations done and their results, the doctors in NIMHANS have assured you that there is no significant problem with CMV, Rubella and HSV infections. TORCH panel is usually done as a test for pregnant women because these infections cause serious congenital infections and in adults these infections are mild and do not cause serious disease. TORCH stands for Toxoplasmosis, Rubella, Cytomegalovirus and Herpes Infections. Almost all of us may be exposed to rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes viruses and may have antibodies to them circulating in our body which are detected by the test. I would suggest you quit worrying about TORCH infections and get a good ophthalmology consultation for your vision problems. Black spots in the eye vision could just be floaters. Please get a second opinion on chorioretinitis. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks.
Follow-up: What are the findings from the torch test and should I take HSV test again? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply looks medicines available for hsv and it helps to reduce outbreaks,also some doctors mentioned herpes virus can create vision problems.. Can i consult some doctors here and try some recommended medicines for hsv,so it may help releiving my symptoms Currently im taking siddha medicines and its available for next two months, helps to regain energy and relieve other symptoms but not letting me free from this infection. Please advice if i can give a try for hsv medicines,also planned to visit some eye specialist
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Acyclovir for herpes Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome back. There are medications available for herpes infections. These are prescribed to prevent recurrent episodes in persons having a stressful life or with low immunity. Herpes does cause eye disease usually keratitis which is characterized by pain in and around the eye, redness, watering of eyes, feeling of dirt in the eye, pain when looking at bright light and cloudiness of cornea. I would suggest you first get an ophthalmic opinion whether it is herpes and then get a prescription for antiviral medications. Thanks.