What are the findings from the spine MRI report?

Apr 2014

hello I just received my MRI results new...abnormal marrow edema in the right sacrlala suspicious for racture degenerative spinal curvature severe spondylosis at l3-l4 with mild central canal stenosis stable right foraminal disc protrusion with mass effect upon the right l1 nerve root at l1=l2 mod spondylosis at l4-l5 with right lateral broad based disc protrusion resulting in deformity of the exiting l4 nerve root they also say I have moderate scoliosis right I saw the neurosurgeon he said he could fix my l4 radiculopathy with surgery but he is afraid to due to my scoliosis. I had a facet injection at that level 4 days ago and still have the pain. how long until the steroid kicks in....whats next if it doesn't. I am a nurse and need to work seven more years, obviously I can't do my job with these symptoms
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us According to history you have degenerative disc prolapse of spine in lumbar region. Degenerative changes occurs in spine due to aging and development of weakness in annulus fibrosis which allows herniation of disc. Treatment for lumbar disc prolapse includes physiotherapy or surgery. Effectiveness of both modalities are same.So,physiotherpay should be tried first. It causes strengthening of Para spinal muscles and it prevents further changes. In acute cases,ideally physiotherapy should be started after pain subsides . You have steroid infection in facet joints.It should start its action in your case as it was injected 4 days ago.You can wait for 1-2 days more.After pain subsides,you can start physiotherapy. Surgery should be the last option. There are also medicines like capsule pregabalin available for pain relief. Other pain relieving modalities are Ozone ablation,Radiofrequency ablation,percutaneous disectomy etc. Treatment can be planned after consultation with neurosurgeon. You should also modify your life style like don't abruptly bend forward and avoid standing for long time.Don't lift heavy objects. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX