Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the findings from the semen report? Suggest the diet to increase sperm count

Hi Doctor Could you please analyses this report and tell me if its all ok. Semen Analysis Quantity: 2.5 cc Appearance: Greyish White Nature:Viscous Reaction:Alkaline Liquifaction: Satisfactory Sperm Count: 26.0 million/ml Motility-Active:70% Sluggish 10% Dead 20% Morphology : 1-2% abnormal sperms seen Other Cells: 2-3 pus cells/hpf This is the report of my cousin who has one undescended testis and other normal descended one. Could you please let me know if this report is ok or something needs to be done interms if diet food and health for improving the count.Please provide a detailed analysis of the components of what is normal and what needs to be done to correct if any.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 15 hours later
Brief Answer: The semen report looks to be reasonably normal Detailed Answer: Hi, The report looks reasonably normal. All the parameters are within normal range, including volume, concentration and motility. I would prefer not to comment about the morphology at this stage as this test result is variable, and depends significantly upon the technician who is doing the examination. WHO guidelines for semen analysis reporting now advise that we should report using what are called 'strict' criteria, and it looks like this lab has not done so, which is not unusual, as most of such high-quality reporting is done only in labs which are dedicated to infertility. However, I suggest you please ensure that he gets another semen sample tested, preferably after one month. If both reports are normal, we can infer that there is no major hurdle despite an undescended testis. You can also ensure that he gets a blood report of Serum Follicle stimulating Hormone,(FSH), preferably at around 8 am. This will also help us in ensuring that sperm production is normal. Hope I have been able to help you.