What are the findings from the scan report?

one of my friend has a positive pregnancy test and the scan shows that there is a single live intrauterine gestation seen and the GS is measuring 1.26 cm which corresponds to 5 weeks 3 days. however the fetal pole is not visualised and is advised a review after 1 week ( to exclude incomplete abortion). Pls let me know what does this mean and can she continue with the preganancy
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: please review as said Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Your friend is pregnant for sure. However, it can be incomplete abortion as the foetal pole is not yet visualized. It would be too early to comment on this at this stage. Either her pregnancy can continue and be a full blown pregnancy or it can be arrested at this stage and lead to incomplete abortion. In such a case, the only option is to wait for a week and do a review scan. We can only hope for best ie we can hope for fetal pole to appear within the next one week. Hence, I suggest you to wait for a week and do repeat scan. Till that time, please advise your friend to take complete bed rest to increases the chances of this pregnancy to survive. Hope this helps. Regards,
Follow-up: What are the findings from the scan report? 1 hour later
what do you mean by "it can be incomplete abortion as the foetal pole is not yet visualized. It would be too early to comment on this at this stage. "
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is too early to confirm Detailed Answer: Hello, 5 weeks 3 days is too early for this type of scan finding, for any doctor to say for sure that it is pregnancy. I mean to say this pregnancy can remain or it can end up in abortion. The only solution for this is to wait and repeat the scan after a week. Even doctors cannot predict the survival of pregnancy at this early stage of 5 weeks 3 days. Wish your friend good luck.