What are the findings from the right knee MRI report?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Here are the IMPRESSIONS from an recent MRI report on my right knee: IMPRESSIONS. Here is the specific description of the injuries to the right knee: 1. Mild Patellofemoral degenerative changes with associated low-grade chondromalacia 2. Chronic proximal partial ACL tear attenuation 3. Status post partial media meniscectomy, no evidence of a re-tear; Mild osteoarthritis with high-grade chondromalacia, medial compartment 4. Focal high-grade chondromalacia with subtle subchondral erosions, posterior aspect, lateral femoral condyle 5. Small Baker’s cyst [lcould you please recommend treatment options, thanks!]
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Life style modifications are important. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Your MRI report suggestive of Chondromalacia patella. It is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the underside the kneecap (patella). Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged will also help in reducing your symptoms. Limit running, instead try swimming or cycling. If you want to run, ensure you are wearing good shoes with cushioned shoes, and stay off hard surfaces eg concrete. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight.Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain. Surgery is only considered if nothing else works and the pain is really affecting you. It is done arthroscopically. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What are the findings from the right knee MRI report? 11 minutes later
Here is the "narrative" portion of my MRI report, not sure if your advice would change any thanks. FINDINGS the patellofermoral joint space is normally aligned and patellar position is normal. No structural abnormality or dysplasia. There is mild joint space narrowing but there are no osteophytes present. There is thinning of cartilage identified along the medial patellar facet and the mdian ridge of the patella. There appears to be loss of up to 25 % of cartilage thickness in these areas. Also, ther is some localizing thinning of cartilage in the upper portion of the trochlear groove involving an area measuring roughly 1 x 1 cm. There is a loss of up to 25 % cartilage thickness in this area as well. The subchrondral bone marrow is normal on both sides of the patellofemoral joint. There is no cystic change or bone endema. The extensor mechanism and patellar retinacula are intact. The ACL shows chronic proximal partial tearing and attenuation near the femoral attachment. There is a loss of up to 50 % of ligament thickness in the area. There is no acute injury however and multiple fibers do remain intact. The PCL is normal. Evaluation of the medial meniscus reveals truncation of the inner edge of the body and posterior horn strongly suggestive of a prior partial meniscectomy. Assuming that this indeed is the correct history, there is no evidence of ret-ear. No displaced fragment. The medial compartment is narrowed and there is a high-grade thinning of the cartilage along weight bearing surfaces in some areas. There is a small areas of subchondral bone edema in the most medial aspect of the tibial plateau. The MCL is intact. The lateral meniscus is intact. The lateral compartment is slightly narrowed. There is an area of high-grade cartilage thinning along the posterior horn of the weight-bearing surface fo the lateral femoral condyle. It measures about 1.5 x 1.5 cm. Most of the cartilage thickness in this area is absent. There are few tiny subchondral erosions in the adjacent bone marrow. Otherwise, the lateral compartment is essentially normal.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later
Brief Answer: I have gone through MRI report attached. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through MRI report attached with the query. It shows the features of chondromalacia patellae. Suggestion I had already given you, would be really helpful. In your MRI, there is also chronic degenerative partial tear of ACL. If there is no features of instability, quadriceps and muscle strengthening exercises will be helpful in your case.