What are the findings from the lower back MRI report?

1. grade 1 anterolisthesis noted at L4-L5 due to facet hypertrophy with a right paramedian disc protrusion and ligamentum flavum laxity resulting in severe central vertebral canal stenosis, obiteration of the right later recess and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. 2. Small left paramedian disc protrusion noted at level L5-S1 causing slight effacement of left lateral recess, however no central canal or neuroforaminal stenosis.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Age related degenerative changes Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for sending in your query. The MRI scan findings of your lower back are as explained below: 1. There is a small malalignment between the fourth and fifth lumbar vertebrae (small bones) and the disc between them is protruded on the right of midline. This is an age related degenerative change. As a result there is also narrowing of the spinal canal and associated pressure on the nerve roots at the nerve exiting foramen on both sides. 2. At the level of L5 and S1 (a level just below above disc) there is mild protrusion of the disc on the left side with slight pressure on the side. At this level, there is no spinal canal narrowing or pressure on the exiting nerve roots at the foramen. The above findings suggest that you may be experiencing low back ache which can be worse at times. You need to consult a neurosurgeon with your MRI scan reports. Hope this answers your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: What are the findings from the lower back MRI report? 3 days later
I never had pain before. I feel backward on ice and hit the right side of my butt and right leg. Could the fall have made this condition worse. Never had pain before the fall. What treatments are available for this condition? Do I need a operation at L4-L5 or at levels L5-S1 Or both? If I don't get a operation will I have pain the rest of my life? I am a reserved Policeman, Will I ever get back to work.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. You have most likely sustained injury due to falling on ice. The malalignment at L4-L5 is grade 1 and usually not an indication for surgery. However the spinal canal stenosis must be addressed and treated keeping in mind the severity of your symptoms. Operation if necessary should be done for L4-L5 level. There are many good medications to decrease your pain. If they do not help you may need steroid injections and if even that does not help, you should discuss the possibility of a surgery with your neurosurgeon. At your age, intense physical activity involving lower back may be avoided if your symptoms are severe. Other than that you may do any work as long your pain is under control. Hope this answers your query. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor