What are the findings from the haematology report?

My father's haematology report shows a WBC count of 22300 and ESR of 60, neutrophils 83 and lymphocytes 11. He has a hydrocele and axonal sensorimotor polyneuropathy diagnosed 5 years ago. Kindly let me know if this signals cancer as I'm really worried. He is 79 years old.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be cancer Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. He has a high white cell count, predominantly neutrophils. Neutrophils are increased in response to some infections or any other acute stress like surgery. This is unlikely to be due to cancer. He needs a physician opinion regarding any infection. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: What are the findings from the haematology report? 48 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. That was reassuring. He did have a foot ulcer 3 weeks back that was debrided and has since completely healed. He was using offloading footwear. He has had a weight loss of approximately 10 kg over the last 18 months which was when he got diagnosed with diabetes. It was this symptom that got us all concerned. He has no complaints of pain, fever, weakness or dizziness whatsoever. No unusual pain or discomfort while passing urine or stool. The hydrocele was just noticed by a doctor a week back though we are not sure since how long he had it. He is scheduled to undergo a whole body scan (PET) on Monday, January 13, 2014, to rule out occult malignancy.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: That can explain the high neutrophils Detailed Answer: I don't think the PET scan will show much but still may be good to rule out cancer in view of the weight loss. Regards