What are the findings from the estimated glomerular filtration rate?

I had a kidney test that said my kidneys was normal, then a nother test said I had kidney disease my number was 59. it was a egfr test.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need a keener review Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The GFR or glomerular filtration rate test os one that actually evaluates kidney function. The GFR value of 59 is considered to be abnormal. Above 90, it is considered to be normal. Interpretation of this result in isolation not very meaningful and useful to make a treatment and follow up decision. It is important for the other tests and parameters that evaluate kidney function to be done. these include, serum creatinine, Blood Urea Nitrogen, Blood Calcium and Potassium levels. An ultrasound to ascertain the size of the kidney might be useful. In your case, the risk factor for kidney disease should be diabetes. Strict diabetes control with adequate monitoring of blood Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1c) is very important. Blood pressure surveillance is also very important. An evaluation by an internist, and or nephrologist in case of need could be necessary at some point. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. I would be glad offering my humble answers. Kind regards Dr Bain