What are the findings from the blood test?

She has been a relatively healthy person, though a tad overweight she has had no complaints of any joint pains, no diabeties, and BP normal. Two days ago we did a complete blood test - there we discovered that she has cholesterol. Readings: LDL -121 (says normal), HDL - 43 (says normal) but triglycerides - 218 (says high). She maintains a healthy diet. Pls advise. what does this mean....Is it really bad? What do we do to see it doesn't inc or lead to anything?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to worry too much Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX From the history and investigations she seems to have metabolic syndrome considering that she is overweight and assuming that she might having a big waist. Since she is not diabetic or hypertensive no need to worry too much. I would suggest her to go for regular walk -brisk walking for five days a week , half an hour per day. This can increase the HDL cholesterol which needs too be above 50 in women. For high triglycerides, strict dietary restriction of fatty foods would be suggested . If there is positive family history in her family of Diabetes, hypertension or ischaemic heart disease then she might benefit from drugs which reduce triglycerides and increase HDL C. I would suggest to follow life style changes that I have suggested above for about three months and then consider drugs if there is no response. Hope I was helpful
Follow-up: What are the findings from the blood test? 20 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you, I am feeling better after reading your answer. What is ischaemic heart disease ? In her family no diabetes but her mother has an issue of irregular heart beat. Does this matter where she is concerned? With regard to strict dietary restriction of fatty foods - can you please elaborate...'cause she is a light eater, daily diet includes 2 fruits at the least and vegetables for sure. Her dinner is very light. Mainly homemade food. She stays in Hyd, if it is not a problem can you suggest a hospital or a doc we can visit after following the recommended life style change. Once again...Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: regular 6 monthly check ups Detailed Answer: Hello , thanks for writing back to me. Ischemic heart disease in lay men's term is heart attack or chest pain. The history of irregular heart rate is important but nothing seriously correlating with your mother. She should cut down on foods with high sugar content . Cut down on daily oil use in the food preparations. What diet you have told is fair enough. If you still want detailed diet chart i suggest you take a dietician opinion. I don't have much knowledge about physicians in hyderabad. But you can consult any physician in XXXXXXX hospital . Also Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in near gachibowli is supposedly very good but I don't have her number . May be you can get it online. Hope i was of help. Wishing your mother good health. Bye
Follow-up: What are the findings from the blood test? 18 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Sorry for troubling you again. There is one other thing...I came to know of today. She said that in the conducted test, her thyroid readings are high. Tot T3 - 92.4 Tot T4 - 7.9 TSH - 10 ( this says high) So could her cholesterol count be affected due to this? Would controlling this help? IS seeing a GP sufficient or do we have to visit a specialist?
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 4 hours later
Brief Answer: can take an endocrinologist opinion Detailed Answer: Hello madam, serum TSH of 10 would mean that she is probably hypothyroid .Taking into consideration the fact that she is overweight it is better to start thyroxine supplementation . Hypothyroidism can cause elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. Hence treating her hypothyroidism would definitely have a beneficial effect on the cholesterol. You can consult an endocrinology specialist because both elevated cholesterol and thyroid issues will be solved at the same time.