What are the findings from the blood test and liver function test? Is it normal?

Question
Hello Doc., My name is XXXXXXX Jain, I am from Mumbai, India,
I recently had my blood test i.e. on 6th sept. 2013
Result :
1. SGOT is 84 U/L & SGPT is 173 U/L
2. TSH (Ultrasensitive), serum is 10.60
Query are the above 2, very high, if yes please guide me what is normal & how can i make it to normal.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Prasad 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, they are deranged...

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

1. Yes, both the values are deranged. High liver enzmes (SGOT and SGPT) values suggest liver dysfunction and high TSH suggest underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).

2. You will need further evaluation to understand the cause of both these metabolic changes. Do you consume alcohol? Did you suffer from infection recently?
Do you have jaundice? What are the other liver function test results?

3. Normal SGOT and SGPT are under 45 and 55 U/L respectively. And normal TSH value is under 5.5 mIU/L

4. Liver enzymes improves as the causative factor is withdrawn. Therefore it is important to discuss about the causes with your treating doctor. Further investigations will give your doctor clues about the cause. Off course if you are on who consumes alcohol, it needs to be withdrawn immediately.

5. As far as TSH is concerned, you will need to be started on thyroid supplements. I use thyronorm 75mcg tablets once a day in my patients with similar values after reviewing other thyroid function tests. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further enquiries.

Follow-up: What are the findings from the blood test and liver function test? Is it normal? 19 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply,

1. Yes, both the values are deranged. High liver enzmes (SGOT and SGPT)
values suggest liver dysfunction and high TSH suggest underactive thyroid
(hypothyroidism).
---- OK

2. You will need further evaluation to understand the cause of both these
metabolic changes.
Do you consume alcohol?
---- YES
Did you suffer from infection recently?
---- NO
Do you have jaundice?
---- HAD 10 YEARS BACK
What are the other liver function test results?
---- NOTHING

3. Normal SGOT and SGPT are under 45 and 55 U/L respectively.
And normal TSH value is under 5.5 mIU/L
----OK

4. Liver enzymes improves as the causative factor is withdrawn.
Therefore it is important to discuss about the causes with your treating doctor.
Further investigations will give your doctor clues about the cause.
Off course if you are on who consumes alcohol, it needs to be withdrawn immediately.
-----OK

----OK
__________________________________________________________________
Query : I consulted my doctor on 06th sept. 2013 & he informed me,

(a) Before the blood test done on 6th sept. 2013, i had consumed alcohol in large qauntity prior night i.e. 5th sept. 2013, so it affects the report (SGOT and SGPT) as the alcohol was in blood.
Therefore, nothing to worry about & no medication is required.

(b) No need to start medicines for thyroid at this stage.

My query sir, are the above consulting (a) & (b) provided by my doctor correct.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I concurs with your doctor...

Detailed Answer:
Acute alcohol intoxication will have direct effects on liver and thyroid cells. This can explain both the elevated liver enzymes and high TSH values. You need not treat this situation. However it would be worth to repeat the test after a month or two to make sure the values come to normal limits.

During the next couple of months avoid unnecessary medications, restrict goitrogenic food, and more importantly avoid alcohol.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Best wishes...

Follow-up: What are the findings from the blood test and liver function test? Is it normal? 4 minutes later
Ok Sir, thank you so much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please close this discussion...

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

If all your questions are answered then please close this discussion and leave your feedbacks.