What are the findings from the blood test and how serious is my renal failure?

Below are my father's blood test values for suspected renal failure. Blood Urea Nitrogen - 15 Serum Creatinine - 0.99 Sodium - 138 Potassium - 3.8 Protein Creatinine ratio - 6.8 Albumin(Serum/BCP) - 3.8 The doctor says that he is running to a danger of dialysis. How serious is his renal failure? Will diet restriction help? He is 64 years, he is diabetic for the past 8 years, He underwent a CABG surgery 10 months back. He is trying but unable to follow the diet and fluid restrictions, he has stopped taking non-veg including egg for the past 1 week.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...must control your leaking of proteins in urine by lifestyle changes,diet and drugs Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your protein creatinine ratio is definitely high and indicates that you are passing proteins in your urine which if not checked,can lead to renal failure. You must get 24 hour urine protein estimation done.If the level is between 30-300 mg,then it is microalbuminaria and if greater than 300 mg,then it  is called as macroalbuminaria. Microalbuminaria stage can be reversed by proper medication but if one has macroalbuminaria,then it eventually leads to renal failure,although the progress to stage of renal failure can be delayed. Treatment involves.... Reducing weight. Doing regular exercises Quitting smoking. Controlling your potassium and protein intake. Controlling your diabetes and blood pressure immaculately. Taking ACE inhibitors or ARB's for reduction of blood pressure and taking them even if blood pressure is normal because this helps in slowing the deterioration of kidney functions. Avoiding nephrotoxic drugs  Controlling urinary tract infection promptly ,if any. Please get yourself evaluated properly by consulting a nephrologist and get the proper treatment so as to avoid not only the further damage to your kidneys but also to reverse the damage process. I hope it helps,However you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What are the findings from the blood test and how serious is my renal failure? 10 days later
We did the 24 hr urine protein test and below is the result 24 hrs urine volume - 1600 ml (Biological Reference value : ml) Urine Protein - 164.20 (Biological Reference value : mg/dl) 24 hrs urine protein(pyrogallol red) - 2,627 (Biological Reference value :<149mg/day) With the above test results is this a condition of Macroalbuminaria?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 hours later
Hello, You are definitely suffering from macroalbuminaria or overt proteinuria. Microalbuminaria is a stage which is potentially reversible but macroalbuminaria is not reversible and generally proceeds to kidney failure in next few years. Treatment at this stage of macroalbuminaria is meant to slow down the progression to the stage of kidney failure. Treatment  involves.... Meticulous control of blood sugar and blood pressure by use of ACE inhibitors and ARB's. Switching to injection insulin from oral antidiabetic drugs. Control of diet and reduction of weight. Reduction of salt intake,potassium intake and protein intake. Quitting smoking. Exercises. Avoiding nephrotoxic drugs  Joint management by a diabetologist and a nephrologist  Once kidney failure takes place,then only treatment option is kidney transplant. Thanks