What are the findings from the MRI report?

May 2014

My mri results showed I had a 5mm cystic focus with surrounding gliosis in the subcortical right paramedian frontal lobe of my brain, is this a concern?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not serious. Please send image, history of illness

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

This is Dr Vivek, Radiologist, replying to your query.

At first I would like to re assure you that it is not a serious condition but needs little bit of further evaluation. I request you write in the reason for MRI scan brain and to kindly attach images for better interpretation of your condition. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

A 5 mm cystic focus on MRI indicates a benign (harmless) etiology. A cystic focus literally means an area with watery fluid.

Gliosis in surrounding area means there was probably loss of blood supply which led to shrinkage of adjacent brain tissue and seepage of CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).
It is essential to know the amount of gliosis which can be apparent only by seeing the image.

Though both the above findings do not indicate any serious condition, it may be correlated by doing an EEG (electroencephalogram) and a possibility of history of seizure disorder needs to be evaluated. Complete neurological clinical examination also might be required keeping in mind your symptoms.

Waiting for an early update from your end.

Dr Vivek.