What are the findings from the MRI report and is it necessary to go for surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My son of 17 years is suffering from low back pain radiating down his leg and has been diagnosed as having nerve impingement His MRI finding reads as Left paracentral broad based attenuation at L4-5 level with extension towards left neural foramina causing mild to moderate impingement on thecal sac and traversing left L5 nerve root. despite of physiotherapy his pain is not helping. Can you please guide if surgery is an option and if so then the risk related to the surgery. Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I suggest him to go for surgery. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As MRI finding your is suffering from prolapsed inter vertebral disc compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. As he doesn’t get better with medicine and physiotherapy , I suggest him to go for surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve his symptoms. As with any surgery, there are some risks. There is a slight risk of damaging the spine or nerves. There is some risk of infection. There are risks with anesthesia. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care