What are the findings from haematology lab test and electrophoresis lab test?

Hi doc XXXXXXX can you interpret my hematology lab test ang electrophoresis lab test please
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Testing followup

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your testing has confirmed the presence of Alpha thalassemia. This is an inherited change in the structure of your hemoglobin which is the molecule which transports oxygen in the body.

As you can see you have a mild anemia as well. Is this a new finding or have you had this for many years? Alpha thalassemia can lead to a mild to moderate anemia and in some cases can cause enlargement of the spleen.

I would be interested to know how you are feeling in general - any symptoms you could provide would be helpful.

General supportive care in HbH disease, including transfusions, may be needed periodically or in periods of severe anemia, such as during parvovirus infections. Guidelines for transfusion in neonates and older children have been established. Blood transfusions should be administered only if necessary.

Usually, patients with HbH disease live fairly normal lives and require few transfusions. Hemoglobin levels usually range from 7-10 g/dL. Transfusion therapy is reserved for patients with severe anemia (usually < 7 g/dL) and symptomatic anemia. If chronic transfusion therapy is needed, iron chelation therapy should be considered to prevent iron overload. Even patients who have not received a large number of transfusions may have elevated total body iron loads and may require chelation therapy.

Hemolytic episodes may be triggered either by drug use or by infection. The use of special red blood cell units (eg, washed, irradiated, or leukocyte-depleted) is usually unnecessary. (emedicine 2013)

Thanks for the query,

Please let me know if you have any additional specific questions,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What are the findings from haematology lab test and electrophoresis lab test? 13 hours later
What is the effect of low mcv mchand mchc to my blood. Is there a medication or treatment on this
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
There should be no obvious effect to having these characteristics of your blood cells. This is simply your unique biology of having this alpha thalassemia. There is no available treatment to correct this nor is there any indication to attempt to correct these variations.

This can be observed usually with minimal disruption of your normal life. You should live long and healthy with this thalassemia. An interval complete blood count every 6 to 12 months would be reasonable as well.

Dr. Galamaga

-again let me know if any additional concerns