What are the findings from MRI of spine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I am in pain, what does my mri mean? C2-C3 has mild right foraminal narrowing C3-C4 has a disc osteophyte complex resulting in moderate bilateral foraminal and mild canal stenosis. C4-C5 has a disc osteophyte complex including a central and right paracentral protrusion and herniation resulting in moderate right foraminal and mild to moderate canal stenosis. C5-C6 has minimal unconvertebral hydrotrophy but no significant canal or foraminal narrowing. C6-C7 has a minimal uncovertebral hydrotrophy but no significant canal or foraminal narrowing
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have degenerative disc prolapse of spine. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX According to reports you have degenerative disc prolapse of spine in cervical region. 1.At C2-C3 level there is mild narrowing of right neural foramen through which nerve roots exits. 2.At C3-C4 there is disc osteophyte complex causing moderate narrowing of bilateral neural foramen and it is also causing mild central canal stenosis. 3.At C4-C5 level,disc osteophyte complex causes central and right paracentral protrusion of intervertebral disc and this herniated disc is causing moderate narrowing of right neutral foramen and mild to moderate central canal stenosis. 4.At C5-C6 and C6-C7 level there is minimal uncovertebral hydrotrophy but no significant central canal or neural foramen narrowing. Degenerative changes occurs due to aging and development of weakness in annulus fibrosis which allows herniation of disc.Osteophytes develop due to chronic stress on annulus fibrosis. Treatment for pain includes physiotherapy or surgery. Effectiveness of both modalities are same.So,physiotherpay should be tried first. It causes strengthening of Para spinal muscles and it prevents further changes. Surgery should be the last option. There are also medicines like capsule pregabalin available for pain relief. Other pain relieving modalities are Ozone ablation,Radiofrequency ablation,percutaneous disectomy etc. Treatment can be planned after consultation with neurosurgeon. You should also modify your life style like don't abruptly bend forward and avoid standing for long time.Don't lift heavy objects. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What are the findings from MRI of spine? 14 minutes later
I have had acupuncture, physical therapy, aqua therapy, and medication. The pain and discomfort keep me up, I don't get much sleep and I have numbness and weakness in my upper extremities what would the surgery to help correct these problems be like? Would I have to stay in the hospital over night?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You can go for percutaneous endoscopic discectomy. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back As you had tried all the conservative methods, I think you should go for intervention as you have so much pain and neurological symptoms. Percutaneous discectomy can be discussed with your neurosurgeon. It is an OPD procedure and patient is discharged on the same day. There is no need of hospital admission. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX