What are the end stage conditions ad longevity of waldenstrom's?

what are the end stage conditions of waldenstrom's? Is there an expected longivity number?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia (WM) is a heterogeneous group and outcomes are variable. Median survival in Waldenström macroglobulinemia (WM) is approximately five years from the time of diagnosis. Those who have no risk factors like low hemoglobin or very high beta-2 microglobulin survive longer, sometimes >8 years. Rituximab is a good agent to start therapy with. However, all patients with WM will ultimately relapse after an initial response to therapy. Treatment options for patients with relapsed disease include reinstitution of the initial therapy, use of an alternative agent, or high dose chemotherapy followed by autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT). Given your age and other coexistent illnesses, I don't think transplant is an option for you. Complications which may happen at progression of disease are- Systemic symptoms (weakness, fever, night sweats, fatigue, weight loss, neuropathy), physical findings (lymph gland enlargement, liver and/or spleen enlargement), and/or laboratory abnormalities (low hemoglobin, white cells or platelets). Also there may be hyperviscosity (thick blood), as suggested by symptoms and signs such as oronasal bleeding, blurred vision, headaches, dizziness, etc. These may need urgent treatment. Overall, I feel you are on the right track and we all hope for the best. If there is progression then we have many options, which can control it for even longer. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.