What are the effect of EMF on a child health?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I live about .25 mile away from power lines and was concerned with Electromagnectic Field Radiation. I purchased a Gauss meter and determined that my home is fine, however reading and searching online I found so many other appliance in the home and even the car gives off high EMFs. My daughters play room is behind our kitchen and the EMFs are high when the oven is on or on occasion the microwave. Even some of the electrical outlets produce a higher EMG (up to 100mg) when not even used because I am assuming the line is hooked up to another outlet in use. I have become overly sensitive and concerned and even want to measure the EMF fields in our next vehicle before purchasing it since the one we have now is very high in the front seats. Am I going overboard? I am so worried about harming my daughter with everyday toxics, EMFs, everthing that I feel so overwhelmed and consumed by this everyday to try and protect her. Most people I know don't even know what a gauss meter is and they live life just fine. Is there a real threat I should be concerned with the way that I have been? Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to health care magic!
I understand your concern!
With the advancements in technology we are surrounded by so many gadgets .We enjoy the positive benefits from them. Of course there are many negative influences also from each and every one of them.
Finally we have to balance between the two!
What is obviously bad can be avoided!
There are still many unknown things influencing our lives and which can not be avoided.
Even ordinary TV,internet,wifi connection all around us,mobile telephone towers,mobile phone use,etc , etc. are affecting us both positively and negatively!
Even if you try to restrict the EMF and other known adverse things in your home, what about her school,friend's place,and society at large which she will face everyday!!??
There are chemicals, fertilizers, bacteria in many food items that we can not see!
What can we do about them?
We have to eat and live!
So there is no point in worrying about every thing.
What you can do to improve the quality of life for your daughter, you have to definitely do - but you should not over do it!
Let it not affect the happiness,peace and enjoyment that you as a mother get by watching the milestones of growth and every small achievement of your loving kid!
Remember that your child is not alone in the world with these adverse conditions and let her enjoy life of childhood innocence
under your guidance.
Finally there are lot of medical and general concerns about EMF and internationally some safety regulations are being implemented. Let' s hope for the best!
GOD bless
All the best
Dr Uma

Follow-up: What are the effect of EMF on a child health? 19 hours later
Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I try to put these fears aside but the more I search the internet about things I feel like I can't ignore them...but I know I need to live normal and be present with my daughter. My anxiety just gets the best of me. When you say improving her quality of life the best I can but not overdo you mean I should continue to use the gauss meter in my home and protect her there or should I not use the gauss meter anymore but instead try to give her better quality food, not use the computer or cell phone often, etc. the normal things a parent does?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 20 minutes later
Hi again,
Yes that' s what I mean!
No need to keep seeing the Gauss meter repeatedly!
Instead do things that you can avoid like the following.
Avoid excessive use of mobile phone
Do not keep the mobile near you or your daughter when sleeping.
put it farther away!
Keep few hours of TV viewing restricted.
Switch off computers and wifi connections when not using.
Use organic vegetables and fruits!( even here there is controversy)
Wash fruits and vegetables nicely before use.
Filtered and boiled water for drinking.
Wash detergents nicely off from kitchenware.
Less of tefal and non stick items in cook ware.
These are some of the things that you can do for her now.
What is beyond one's individual efforts, please do not bother!
Enjoy every moment of life with her! Enjoy the greenery around and nature!
Forget the rest.
Anxiety is the worst factor that will affect the day to day life.
See what happened with XXXXXXX in East coast!
Life is unpredictable!
Enjoy and thank God for what you have!
God bless
Happy parenting!
Dr Uma

Follow-up: What are the effect of EMF on a child health? 21 minutes later
Thank you. I currently follow all of your advice above with the exception of turning off the wifi because I can get so many other connections in my home and my home security system uses wifi. One very last question I promise. At work I share an office wall with someone that has a flat screen tv up. I sit on the back side of the tv about five feet away. Could this radiation have hurt me or my baby while I was pregnant and working there 40 hrs a week? And my daughter had an X-ray done at two years old could any health issues arise from that?

I understand what you mean and try to just enjoy eveything. I guess I feel like not a good mother if I don't worry about everything...

And XXXXXXX was terrible. I live very close to some devastation that unfortunately occurred. I know I should be thankful because you never know wht has in store and enjoy each minute.

Thank you and God Bless as well.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
The flat TV is not supposed to emit xrays! as compared to old CRT TV.
I am sure you have checked the EMF in your office room!!!
Even your computer monitor will do the same!!
Anyway your daughter is born well and growing well.So do not think of the past!
Reg your daughter again ,one xray so far is ok!
We have to weigh the pro and cons of doing pediatric rays in growing kids as doctors.
So do not worry.
By the way I hope you are OK from Sandy's effects,and have electricity and gas ( petrol) back!
All the best for you and your daughter.
Dr Uma