What are the drug actions of Quitipin, Unicobal Forte and Exclon?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Can you tell me more about the following drugs: Quitipin, Unicobal Forte & Exclon please? My father has been prescribed this in India
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Quitipin is an antipsychotic drug. It contains quetiapine and is used orally for the treatment of bipolar disorder.
Unicobal forte soft-gelatin caps contain mecobalamin 1.5 mg, alpha lipoic acid 100 mg, folic acid 1.5 mg, pyridoxine hydrochloride 3 mg. It is mainly used to relieve nerve related symptoms like paresthesias, nerve compression symptoms, etc. Alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant.
Exelon contains rivastigmine which is used for treatment of age related dementia like Alzheimer's disease.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What are the drug actions of Quitipin, Unicobal Forte and Exclon? 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. Would his age & other health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure have any adverse effects?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The problems for which he has been prescribed these drugs are probably related to old age - dementia and long standing diabetes causing neuropathy.

He needs to control his blood pressure and blood glucose levels well and continue taking these medicines as prescribed to him by his specialist.

Hope my answer is helpful.