What are the different ways to treat vision problems and provide lenses? Had white layer on retina remove.

My mother age 55 , She was having white layer on the retina of the Eye( Black portion) , Same was removed. But now she had a vision problem. Docter suggest for the operation and need to provide lense. The machine by which she is going to be operated is the taco MACHINE( Sorry if i here it wrong) It a advance machine i came to know.

1. What are the different way or operation?
2. suggest the best lens and make ?
3. any precaution or word of advice to asses the compitent docter ?
Appreciate you reply today, As i have to take decision.

Thanks & Regards, XXXXXXX

Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does she complain of Double vision?
2.) Does she complain of Increasing difficulty with vision at night?
3.) Does she complain of light sensitivity?

Your History suggests she has Cataract which is a clouding of the normally clear lens of the eye.

I would like to let you know that most Ophthalmologists suggest considering cataract surgery when cataracts begin to affect quality of life or interfere with ability to perform normal daily activities otherwise it doesn't harm the vision or affect the eye.

There are many ways of Cataract surgery which involves removing the clouded lens and replacing it with a artificial lens implant.
1 Conventional method involves removal of affected lens from capsule with or without replacement with artificial lens.
2 Phacoemulsification (Phaco): The one which you mentioned, involves emulsification (dissolution) of diseased lens with ultrasonic handpiece and later aspirated from the eye. This is followed by implantation of intraocular lens. This is modern method.

Many Good Intraocular lenses are available in many brands like,

1.) Crystalens.
2.) Rezoom.
3.) Restor.

Your Doctor may use lenses other than above mentioned ones. You can discuss it with your Doctor as he can choose from different brands available in the market.

There is no necessity to assess the competency of the Surgeon as they will be Highly qualified ones and will take necessary precautions before going ahead with the surgery and it is generally a safe procedure in experienced hands which is done under local anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.