What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel discharge?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have uncontrollable bowel discharges. I never know when they are coming. I take over-the-counter medicine to stop the symptoms after they appear but have no prior symptoms that let me know they are coming or even know that they have come until I feel it. I was very ill and in the hospital for 13 days three years ago with a bacterial infection that the infection specialist could not identify. That was the start of this problem. It stops with large doses of antibiotics but the doctors don't want to keep me on massive doses of antibiotics. Is there any other treatment available?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: investigations needed. Detailed Answer: Hi. I have gone through the list of medical history and your problems. It makes me think of possibilities of many problems like internal fistula, very lax anal sphincter, irritable bowel syndrome and so on. You need to get thoroughly investigated and I would suggest you to review your present medical problems ans their medications, all relevant blood , urine and detailed stool test, Enteroclysis ( contrast enhanced visualization of small and large bowel, CT scan of abdomen and a colonoscopy. In the meantime stop all food and beverages which increase this problem. Stop taking over the counter medicines for the time-being as they interfere with reports... All these reports will decide the mode of treatment as this does not look like routine intestinal infection...
Follow-up: What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel discharge? 14 hours later
I had a colonoscopy about 6 months ago and the doctor said at that time that he could not see any reason for my symptoms. The discharge is usually more of a muscus type. I also have ulcers and take medication for that both morning and night and therefore watch carefully what I eat. I believe the doctor at the time of the colonoscopy ruled out irritable bowel syndrome. What particular foods and beverages would increase the problem?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Metrogyl ? Stool culture and sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi. Good to know the colonoscopy was normal; it means to me ulcers of the stomach. I Would like to know which medicines you are taking at the moment. There are no particularly known food and beverages that may cause this problem. But foods and beverages which produce an allergy have to be confirmed by yourself by a method of permutation and combination. This is going to be your observation only. It is better to restrict caffeinated drinks. I hope you have been given Metronidazole ( 400 mg three times a day for 5 days and may be an OTC drug in USA). A stool culture and sensitivity tests can guide for the proper antibiotic treatment. Regards