What are the different test available to check the heart condition?

Hi Doctor, I have a family history now of hearth attacks. My dad passed away when he was 68 years old and my eldest brother passed away when he was 53 years old of heart attack. Im very worried that i might have a weak heart muscles or blockages as well,what test should I do to minus out this possibility? Btw I'm a female 38 years old, 5 feet 3 inch tall, 69kg. Normal blood pressure around 130/90. Done recent blood test - all good no cholesterol. I'm inclined to do angiograme but the problem is that doctors wouldn't allow this unless I fail the stress test. Is there any other testing method which in non-intrusive? Meaning unlike angiogram, which comes with a 5% risk of things going wrong, is there any other test that wouldn't require anything to be inserted inside the blood vessels?
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: ECG, TMT initial step. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend, Its really nice to see that you are so conscious about your health , keeping into consideration your family history. You got your routine tests done, they are normal, especially your Lipid Profile. This is really good. Tell me if you have any symptoms like, breathlessness on exertion, chest pain, palpitations. If not, its you are at least not symptomatic. About the diagnosis part, you need a ECG as for initial evaluation. If there is any doubt your are posted for Stress test, most commonly employed is Tread-Mill test. You can go for it. If there are any abnormalities detected there by your doctor, he will himself advise you for an angiography. See, there is no point in un-necessarily going for an invasive test. There are other less invasive ways, like CT Angiography, MUGA Scan. But they have there own indications. Currently i would advise you to get an ECG and Treadmill Test. If they are normal, simply follow the following. 1.Daily Walk or exercises. 2. Use oil as minimum as possible, no to trans-fats. 3. Get your Lipid Profile , blood sugars, ECG on routine basis in consultation with your doctor. 4. No smoking, no alcohol. 5. You need to reduce your weight as far as your details that you have provided are concerned. I hope, i am able to solve your queries. Id you want to know any thing else, just ask me, i am here. Stay Healthy