What are the defects of insulin and the effects on glucose metabolism?

Jun 2015

what are the defects in insulin and the effects on glucose metabolism with someone who is type I insulin dependent diabetes mellitus
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Destruction of insulin secreting cells in pancreas

Detailed Answer:

The basic defect in the individuals with Type I diabetes mellitus is: Destruction of insulin secreting cells in pancreas.

Insulin is required for regulating the blood glucose level.
And absence of this hormone causes increase in blood glucose levels (known as Hyperglycemia) resulting in the classical symptoms of diabetes mellitus like increased frequency of urination, increased thirst & hunger, fatigue, etc.
If the blood glucose levels are not controlled, then with due course of time it causes damage to the vital organs like Heart, Kidney, Eyes & Nervous system.

As the body is not able to produce insulin, such individuals need insulin injections (hence called insulin dependent) along with diet & lifestyle modifications to optimize the blood glucose levels.
The dosage is determined by taking into consideration the values of fasting & postprandial blood glucose & clinical examinations to rule out any organ damage.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.
If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I will be happy to answer them.

Wishing you a Good Health.