What are the cure available for ankylosing spondylitis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got Ankylosing spondylitis and I am 29years old. I do get pains once in 3-4 months on either one side of lower hip mostly when I get in to some specific physical movement or if I play some sports or travel on motorcycle or buses.
Usually a prolonged journey seating straight. Whenever I got pain one or 2 dose of Indocap SR 75 helps me relieves it for next 2 months. I am doing some stretching exercise as directed by Physio but not regularly.
Is there any cure for this?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

Ankylosing spondylitis(AS) is likely caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, most of which have not been identified. Only few of such genetic diseases have cure. AS as such doesn't has any permanent cure. But the progression of the disease can be slowed or modified and complications can be reduced.

Physiotherapy in the form of stretching exercises prevents complications occurring secondary to AS. Yoga is best for keeping joints supple. Medications like NSAID's reduce the pain.

Drugs like Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate and Corticosteroids are helpful in reducing the progression of the disease and stiffness. Recent advances shows that drugs like TNF-alpha inhibitors help in halting the disease progression. The earlier we start, better will be the result. These medications have to be taken only on advice of your doctor.

So keep doing those exercises and NSAID's SOS. Consult your doctor regarding starting you on anti-rheumatic drugs.

Wish you a good health.