What are the complications of heart bypass surgery ?

I had heart bypass surgery with complications that resulted in sternum bone nonunion. Sternal plates were installed for sternum to heal. After plates were installed the pain got worse. After seeing several doctors a thoriac surgeon decided to remove the plates, but informed me I may have sternal pain the rest of my life. So I read the ct report of the thorax. The report said "the 2 inferior sideplates are positioned slightly to the right and with the right lateral screws entering the costosternal articulation and costal cartilage. Additionally, thes two most superior sideplate have backed out slightly and the screws enter the costosternal joints". Now I have severe pain on both sides of my sternum, feels like I am always having a heart attack (several emergency room visits confirmed I was not), difficulty breathing, lose of elasticity in chest and tire very easily due to constant pain. In addition I developed frozen shoulder from pain radiating to my right shoulder. Surgery was performed while I still had the sternal plates installed. The doctor indicated he had diffculity manipulating arm to unfreeze it and may have injured sternum. Thats possibly why two screws were slightly out. I have taken numerous kinds of anti inflammatory drugs with no help. I am 63, 5'5' 180 lbs. It has been one and half years since plates been remove with pain continuously getting worse. Any suggestions in help healing this condition or is this something I may have to live with rest of my life.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

Your Sternal plate screws would have misplaced.

It would have occurred when your shoulder surgeon tried to manipulate your shoulder.

You would be experiencing pain post this event .

The misplaced screws would impinge the bone to cause pain.

You could have gone for a surgery for proper re-alignment of screws.

Rather you got them removed.

Removal would definitely cause your present symptoms like breathing difficulty and pain.

I suggest you to go for re-implantation and take proper care as suggested by your surgeon.

You can also consult a different doctor if you are not satisfied with a particular doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.