What are the complications of having chlamydia and medication to kill chlamydia?

Is it possible that a weeks dose of doxycycline didn't kill off my chlamidya ?
I had taken the full course and it appeared to get better then it worsened again do i still have it?
Can flucloxacillin treat chlamidya?
what are the male complications of having chlamidya>
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Doxycycline is indicated in the management of Chlamydia infection. However, to judge the clinical success, it might be important to know whether the drug was taken appropriately or not. Usually, it is at 100mg twice daily for 21 days. Secondly, recent recommendations advice that the 200mg (two tablets in case of 100mg tablets be taken at once for 21 days after proper feeding). Hope you never took alcohol during this period, because alcohol actually reduces the potency and efficacy of the drug.

Recent drugs like Azithromycin and other FLouroquinolones could also be used. Flucloxacin is a drug that is mainly directed against Staphylococcus aureus, a Bacterium usually affecting the skin and causing pus. It is likely to be very inefficient in the management of chlamydia.

It would be important to know if you took the treatment with your sexual partner, in case of unprotected sexual relationship. Taking the treatment alone and getting unprotected sex could lead to reinfection and treatment failures.

Getting a consultation from your family physician, for proper testing, physical examination to exclude other sexually transmitted infections, and involving your partner in the treatment process should be done. I advise to avoid unprotected sex or alcoholic drinks, in case you take them, during the treatment period.

Consult your family physician for proper care. do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.