What are the complications of epididymal cyst?

Age 20

This is about an epididymal cyst which I believe is large enough to be called spermatocele. I am 20 years old, have abstained from sex, have had this cyst growing on the left testicle for roughly five years. For 6 months now, it appears darker than it ever was. Shining a light on it, it even appears nearly dark grey. It is a large mass. The right testicle has one growing too. There is not usually any pain apart from a dull ache, which doesn't happen often. I don't think this sort of thing is well documented and I was worried about gangrene or epididymitis. What could this be, what is the risk factor/complications?

When 14 years old, saw GP about hair follicle bumps on penis, was told it is normal. Told GP about scrotum itchyness which was very intense for a while. The hydrocortisone was recommended but I did not use it. Eventually the itchyness subsided anyway. Now I am OK. At the same time, I was scratching my penis shaft a lot and I noticed a flat skin line appear up the shaft, wider nearer the scrotum (fades into the scrotum) and thinner nearer the head, (nearly same color as scrotum, a pink-ish color). Recently I saw a doctor about the skin and apparently it looks normal. Most recent consultation with GP was positive, no apparent problems, received no answer when I asked him about the color of the epididymal cysts. He wants me to go back and see him about anxiety related issues.

Other: believed to have eczema in belly button since age of 12. Responds to cream. Penis/scrotum skin color does not change with cream (was prescribed more hydrocortisone about 6 months ago for neck and backside, and decided to apply to scrotum and penis as well, but the doctor did not know about that. Scrotum became itchy as a result and I scratched a lot, noticed the color change in cysts as mentioned but whether that was a coincidence, I do not know.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 18 hours later

Epididymal cysts are usually asymptomatic, other than for occasional pain. Nothing needs to be done for them unless they cause severe pain or become so large in size that they cause dragging sensation. Usually epididymal cysts dont undergo gangrene or epididymitis and you should not worry about them.

However, if it has become unusually large and disfiguring then you can certainly get it removed.
Don't apply hydrocortisone on the scrotal skin. The line you are seeing on the penis is median raphe and is normally seen in all adults and nothing needs to be done for the same.

Start applying mycoderm powder on the scrotum for its itchiness and you shall start experiencing relief soon.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.