Ask a Dentist   »  

What are the complications after root canal surgery ?

I've been in the ED 3 times this week. I had a root canal May 5th and have been having problems since. Hives, severe joint pain, loss of appetite, low grade fever, headaches. No one can figure whats wrong. My white blood cells count is 1300 and resting heart rate is 108 for the last couple weeks. I was told by my regular dr that it could be endocarditis. I had an echo done Friday which was clear and have had numerous blood cultures done. Any ideas of what this is it would be great.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Since you had been through a procedure involving the risk of infection, the symptoms you have also give me a clue into it being a infective in origin.

As you have got the blood culture negative it puts us into dilemma as its very unusual presentation of a infection , but also there would be a milder form of local infection which is causing the symptoms and not enough severe so as to be spotted in blood.

I would suggest you to get tests like Urine culture and throat culture along with a DLC( Differential Leucocyte count) and AEC( Absolute eosinophil count ) which will provide much more insights into the problem you have.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them
Follow-up: What are the complications after root canal surgery ? 20 hours later
I have had urine cultures done twice. All blood tests and urine are negative for any infections. Yet, by white blood cell count remains high. This has been almost a month! Each time I go to the hospital, they have chalked it up to many other reason for the elevated heart rate. I have been tested for mono, lupis, lyme, strep... all negative.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you have got the Differential leucocyte count(DLC) and Absolute eosinophil count (AEC) done do share it with me.

DLC shows percentage of the different type of WBCs , relative increase in one type of the cells gives us clue into the type of infection.For example If the Lymphocytes percentage is increased it indicates a chronic granulomatous infection stimulating cell mediated immunity.If Neutrophil percentage is more it says of acute infection etc.

AEC is one which indicate any type of allergic reactions or inflammations going anywhere in the body.Some times these allergic reactions can also be a source of continuous low grade fever.

Do share with me the above reports.