Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the complications after plastibell surgery ?

My son is 5 weeks old he was circumcised 6 days ago. He had the plastibell procedure done. At the moment the ring hasn't fallen off and his penis is red and swollen and his scrotum is blue. Their is no puss or any thing. My baby seems to be unsettled, wingy and has passes gas alot.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The red and swollen head of penis may be due to the impacted ring. Usually the ring falls of in 3-5 days. If the ring is still there it can cause compression ring around the glans making the tissue edematous.

You must go for a follow up visit to the operating surgeon and if needed the ring might have to be resected and removed.

Blue scrotum also indicates a decreased blood supply to the area.

There is no substitute of direct examination in this case.

Please visit your surgeon to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant treatment required in your case.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What are the complications after plastibell surgery ? 1 hour later
Is the blue scrotum really XXXXXXX does it need urgent attention because I am making him an appointment tomorrow also he passes wind alot and is breastfed do u think he is unsettled because of this.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The excessive wind he is passing is not a related problem. May be he is not taking a burp properly after having milk. The blue scrotum needs an early evaluation. Only a direct examination will confirm the diagnosis.

Wishing your son an early recovery.