What are the common symptoms of OCD?

Dear Doctor, Among the phycological problems I've had all my life. I didn't know it wasn't normal just thought it was something I had from my parents and grandparents. Really, When I was exhausted fighting it in my late thirties, I'm 65. I went shopping for help. Nutrional Therapists. Spelling not my strong suit. Phyciatrists Said I had severe Major Depression, Panic Anxiety attackts and O.C.D. Medicine has helped all three so I live a rather normal life. I take Xanax, Gapantin . I would like to know what symptoms of OCD are common uncommon rare or one of many. I take Paxil and it is excellent. Best I've found for it. Been taking it for a number of years. When I am not on it I wouldn't wish the consequences on the worst person on Earth. Mr. Monk makes a mockery of OCD. It completely destroys my sense of reason, logic. I turn to being skeptical cynical unreasonable and critical. The other aspect s of Ocd checking symmetry irritability when things are not just right I can take in stride live with it not like before when I wasn't taking medicine. Before I found Paxil, which is a God send. Everything was an unreality. I had to establish every thing as a reality before I could go on to the next thing. i.e. the door I know if I turn it make the piece of metal retract then because of the hinges it swings open and I can step outside. Is this a result of OCD??? Always wondered what would happen if I was unable to get my Paxil. Am I the only one to have this kind of disorder???????? YYYY@YYYY XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Brief Answer: OCD is quiet common Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. You seem to get plenty of thoughts which you feel are unreasonable and are distressed with them and you have a good insight about this problem. That puts you on an OCD spectrum disorder with or with out depression. You are right in suggesting that Paxil has helped you and indeed its a very nice drug. It has helped many of my patients as well. OCD is very common. It is of three common types like dirt relate, symmetry related, and security related. All these involve repeated checking. You seem to have a symmetry type OCD although all three are not essentially mutually exclusive. So the answer is you are not the only one with this illness. If you are feeling good on these drugs, please continue to take the same medications and you should be doing good. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.