What are the common causes for rectal bleeding when suffering from abdominal pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have been having pain in my abdominal but I bleed thru my rectom. I've had a colonascopy done, but they tell me they don't see anything wrong. I bleed everyday and have to wear a pad. I've been this way for more than a year and i'm worried.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. The common causes of rectal bleeding in an elderly patient like you are as follows: 1. Hemorrhoids: A swollen vein or group of veins in the region of the anus 2. Colitis: Inflammation of the lining of the colon 3. Diverticulosis: Condition in which diverticula are present in the intestine without signs of inflammation 4. Hemorrhage: An escape of blood from a ruptured blood vessel, especially when profuse 5. Inflammatory bowel disease: A group of inflammatory conditions of the colon and small intestine. The major types of IBDs are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. 6. Large bowel tumors (cancerous and non cancerous) and polyps can also cause bleeding through rectum. As you have got a colonoscopy done and reports are normal, it is less likely that there is any luminal pathology involved. However, a detailed clinical evaluation is necessary and other imaging investigations like ultrasound or CT scan might have to be done. You should be consulting a surgeon and take necessary treatment. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What are the common causes for rectal bleeding when suffering from abdominal pain? 17 hours later
Since I bleed everyday and sometimes more than others, would it b good for me to take some kind of vitimin? Last night I bleed alot and I feel kind of weak today.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. Loss of blood can cause anemia and that is making you feel weak. You need adequate medications including iron supplements and vitamins (vitamin B 12 and folic acid). However, it is only a short term management but as long you have blood loss, your anemia may worsen. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek