What are the chances to get hepatitis C after pricking your finger?

im an emt and my neighbor came over to my house while off shift and asked me to check her husbands vitals. i checked his blood sugar while i was there and accidentally pricked my finger while disposing the lancet after i pricked the husband's. he is known to have hep c. what are the chances of transmission and how often should i get tested?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Testing for Hepatitis C after finger-pricking... Detailed Answer: Hi, There is little chance to get hepatitis C while pricking your finger when disposing the lancet (around to 0.5%). With regards to testing, there are 2 main tests: - routine anti-HCV, that is measured 6-8 weeks after exposure. - HCV-RNA which might be measured up to 3 weeks after exposure So, I suggest to get this test (HCV-RNA) after 2 weeks after pricking your finger; meanwhile, you can run anti-HCV after 6 weeks of pricking your finger. Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida