What are the chances that I could develop cirrhosis? Drinking due to stress.

Feb 2006 Aug 2006 April 2008 XXXXXXX 2010 July 2011 XXXXXXX 2012
Albumin      4.1      4.6 4.9      4.5      4.5      4.7
Bilirubin Total     .6      1.1      1.0      .8      .6      .4
Alk Phosphatase     69      56      53      62      58      51
AST      31      25      22      28      25      27
ALT      29      18      20      24      16      15
WBC      6.4      7.7      7.5      6.7      7.9      7.5
RBC      4.8      4.3      4.4      4.4      4.5      4.4
Hemoglobin     12.8     14.5      15.4      14.2      14.9     14.4
Hemocrit      39.7     41.4      43.9      42.3      42.8     43
MCV      82      96      100      96      95     97
MCH      26.4     33.7      35      32.3      33     32
Platelets      223     247      277      257      266     258
GGT      n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a 38
Hep C neg(ative) neg neg neg neg neg
above are liver tests and blood tests for past 6 years. I had Hep C in 2004 was successfully treated - virus cleared and consistently negative results for Hep C tests ever since. I had US (ultrasound) done 90 days ago - liver "looks normal" per radiologist report, however I know that US is not the 'gold standard' for diagnosis of liver problems. I have not had needle liver biopsy, but am considering requesting one. I have had 'full' feeling in abdomen for past few months, and about two weeks ago suddenly developed darkened circles under both eyes. Reduced sex drive which I know can be symptomatic of liver problems. ! am 62-yr old male; height 72" weight 180 lbs. Reduced appetite, but I force myself to eat - so weight has remained stable. I otherwise feel perfectly fine - no jaundice, no lethargy, no darkened urine; no light stools - none of the other classic symptoms of liver disease that I know from past experience. I lost both parents in recent years, have been depressed - and drinking alcohol too much. I have stopped drinking alcohol as of a few days ago. What are chances that I could be developing cirrhosis? Is it possible to develop cirrhosis with no changes in bloodwork, platelets and liver readings over these past 6 years? More to the point, what do these symptoms sound like to you?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

The readings of your LFT are perfrctly normal and donot point towards any liver disease. I do not think you have cirrhosis especially with the reports that you have shared here.

Regarding the symptoms, they are quiet non specific and can be seen in various conditions like - Depression, Vitamin B12 defeciency, hypothyroidism and other alcohol related diseases. Hence consult your GP so that he can conduct a good physical examination and suggest appropriate tests.

Follow-up: What are the chances that I could develop cirrhosis? Drinking due to stress. 1 hour later
Thank you. My questions;
the darkened circles under my eyes appeared rather suddenly - and I know that this can point to liver problems.
My abdomen is swollen, but per the radiology report it is not ascites, yet I still suspect that it may be slight swelling of my liver.
Question #1: How likely are these two above symptoms attributable to excessive alcohol intake?
Question #2: I purposely provided a 6-yr history of blood and liver readings..and understand that these are all normal. i've had these done every 6 months for past 8 years - I didn't include all, but provided you w/representative sample...all 16 tests were normal. Is it possible to have developed any liver damage over this 6-yr period WITHOUT some derangement of these functions? Common sense tells me 'no' - but medically - is it possible??
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification,

As stated earlier the black circles around the eye are a nonspecific sign which can occur in a variety of conditions.

Ultrasound is very sensitive in picking up ascites and it has ruled out ascites.

Prominent abdomen without ascites is either because of excess fat or gaseous distension. These are not indicative of any liver disease and are commonly associated with the conditions listed above.

The chance of developing liver cirrhosis is negligible if serial blood tests are normal and have not shown any significant change in their values.

However keep abstaining from alcohol and grow out of your worries.