What are the chances of transmission of HIV using condoms ?

While having sex w a prostitute in Thailand (protected), I withdrew and noticed blood on the outside of the condom (Due to my fingering prior to protected oral/vaginal). However, I removed the condom with my hand and a few seconds later masturbated - What is the risk of contacting HIV? I tested the condom after masturbation with water and it was not broken. I am worried about having touched my penis with possibly blood/vaginal fluids of the prostitute.
On day 7 I got fever - On day 8 - the doctor diagnosed Pharyngitis. He claimed it was too early for ARS. I tool NamCold and Cepodem-O. The fever went away in 3-4 days but reduced inflammation in throat remains. Throat is painless. Fever (day 1 without medication) was 100.4. After medication never went above 99.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 16 hours later

Its very unlikely that you would have contracted any infection. Why I am sure is based on the fact that your condom was intact after the intercourse. Blood over the condom or blood touching fingers while removing the condom will not cause spread of infection.

Even with Unprotected sex, risk of transmission of HIV if your partner is positive is very low and is around 0.09%. Therefore, condom is considered nearly 100% effective in preventing HIV infection.

Your symptoms of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection has no relation your sexual encounter.

The definitive way to be sure about HIV is to get your self tested after 6 months. If its negative at 6 months, then there is nothing to worry.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks for posting your query here.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: What are the chances of transmission of HIV using condoms ? 7 hours later
Please remember this was sex with a prostitute in Thailand, that has HIV subtype E (that spreads apparently much more earily heterosexually). What I am saying is blood that reached my penis head/uretha when I masturbated myself. Also, I am uncircumcised.

Some people have said no matter what kind of genital-hand-genital interaction or her blood/vaginal fluid dripping on my penis, there is no possibily without unprotected intercourde? Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 4 hours later

With protected sex, the chances of transmission is nearly 0 %.

However, if there is contact with blood and vaginal fluid over the bare skin of your penis, then the chances is approximately 0.1 % (i.e. 0.09 %).

Well, in all probability, you would not have got infected.

However, if your partner was indeed positive for HIV, its prudent that you get yourself tested for HIV now and after 6 months to allay all anxiety and fear.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Take Care

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: What are the chances of transmission of HIV using condoms ? 13 hours later
So this means that my genital-hand-genital act was as risky as unprotected vaginal sex? Also, apparetly the chances of spread of subtype E hetrosexually are much higher , ie. 1 out of 30 (3-4%). So that means my chances of being infected are much higher?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 38 minutes later

Yes,the hand-genital-hand act puts you at risk especially because there was visible blood.

In Thailand, HIV Subtype E is prevalent in Heterosexuals. Its not found to have a higher chances of spread. However, transmission of HIV is more rampant in Thailand because of multiple other reasons. One, there is large population that is involved in prostitution. Two, most of the Commercial sex workers have other STDs which increase the chances of spreading HIV as well.

So, chances of spread is more for these reasons.

Therefore, if you are in Thailand, the chances of transmission of HIV is more than when you are in US or UK.

Hope this answers your query.

Take Care
Dr Kiran