What are the chances of survival after an aortic rupture in the accident ?

My 16 year old daughter was killed in a car wreck 2 years ago. We were told the blow to the chest ruptured her aorta. I have recently heard that a rupture would be instant death but a tear would not have be instant until it ruptures. Is that true and would there have been pain or would she have known if she was hurt that bad?? She had nothing else wrong with her. No bruising or broken bones... nothing. Finally asking the question could she have survived for a time at the scene of the accident with a tear then a rupture?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later

It is sorry to know about your child.

Aortic rupture can lead to instant death as Aorta being the major artery of the body and a rupture can lead to severe blood loss and the person goes into a Hemorrhagic shock and death. While in tear depending on the degree of the tear, if there is a major tear then that could lead to rupture and if minor degree there would be rare probabilities of survival with residual neurological deficits.

As in these incidents there are chances of sudden collapse, there will hardly be any sufferings and any consciousness.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.