What are the chances of spreading germs by using common cup?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
There is a Church with whom I am on very friendly terms, which uses just one cup,only, of wine for their Communion Service.This cup is passed round for everyone to drink from it. Does this practise present a health hazard problem?I am not in the Medical Profession but am aware that there are "germs" caled E-coli, Staphlechocus,Streptachocas(my spelling may not be right!). I wondered if germs could be spread by this usage of one cup. I ak out of genuine sincereity, not out of any other motive. Please accept my thanks for help on this aspect.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 36 minutes later
Hello and welcome to HCM

Your concern is genuine
Oral cavity contain many commensal bacteria. These commensal bacteria do not cause disease in an individual whose immunity is not compromised. When the immunity of an individual falls due to any reason like immunodeficiency, medication etc., these organism can cause infection.
Besides many bacteria are present on hands and lips of all individuals. This type of sharing leads to transference of the micro-organisms. Anyone with low immunity can catch the infection.
From hygiene point of view, it is unhealthy for so many people to share one cup.

If case of more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal