What are the chances of pregnancy with negative pregnancy tests?

Mar 2013
Missed period on Dec 27. Had three pregnancy test since. All negative. Was regular before this. Can I be pregnant? 52 years old
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: MOST LIKELY PERI MENOPAUSE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. At 52, are you having regular clockwork periods ? If the answer is yes, then the three pregnancy tests would definitely be reliable. With 3 tests negative, you would NOT be pregnant for sure. I think you are easing off into the peri menopause, where cycles would get irregular / delayed and then stop gradually. Other than peri menopause - stress, tensions on personal or professional front, unaccustomed exercise, rapid changes in your weight, ingestion of hormonal medications, late nights, erratic eating, changes in climate or altitude, travelling - all these can interfere with your cycles. It would be good to get your TSH ( thyroid hormone level ) checked, as thyroid disturbances can delay periods Also, while the blood work is being done, get your FSH, LH and serum estradiol levels checked - they would tell you if menopause is near. At 52, I would say a pregnancy is least likely. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.