What are the chances of pregnancy with a positive urine pregnancy test?

Mar 2013
Hi I have done a pregnancy blood test on 4th day after missed periods but it came negative but the urine pregnancy test is showing a positive result are there any chances of me being pregnant ? please suggest
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: ONE OF THE TWO REPORTS HAS AN ERROR. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. It is a very improbable situation - the one you have described. HCG ( the pregnancy hormone ) appears first in the blood stream, and then gets excreted in the urine. A blood pregnancy test is positive far earlier than a urine pregnancy test. When a urine pregnancy test is positive, then the blood test definitely HAS to be positive. What you describe is really impossible. One of the two is erroneous - either the lab made a mistake with the blood test, or you have misread the urine test. Please upload the reports if you have them so i can guide you better. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. take care.
Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy with a positive urine pregnancy test? 4 minutes later
I will upload the test reports of blood test and the urine test I have done at home with the preganews kit available at medical store. But having a blood test on 4th day after missing period is early should I wait for some more days.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Having a blood test on 4th day after missing period is not at all early. A blood test would be positive even earlier than that. Could you be a bit more specific - the date of your last menstrual period, normal cycle length, date ( s ) of unprotected intercourse, any pills taken and on what date, date of testing with blood, date of testing with urine. These might help me to guide you better. Are you sure you interpreted the home pregnancy kit correctly ? Did you keep it or have you thrown it away. If it is still with you, take a snap and upload that too if possible.