What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking emergency contraceptive pill?

Mar 2016

hello me and my wife had sex with condom but after ejaculation as i retrieved i felt some liquid on my organ though the condom was still on, i felt that my semen has come out from condom from upper side but to remove confusion nd added protection i gave my wife emergency contraceptive pill unwanted 72 within 3 hrs of sex. but still i am afraid does she can get pregnant.? whats is the chances of pregnancy in the above situation. she got her period on 19 XXXXXXX 2014 and today is 13 day after her period? can she get pregnant after emergency contraceptive pill use also? please reply
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: CHANCE OF PREGNANCY IS QUITE LOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. First of all, you did sex with broken condom close to her fertile days. However, she took Unwanted 72 pill within 3 hrs and it is good thinking. This pill will give more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. In this case, chance of her pregnancy is quite LOW. Second thing, she will get a withdrawal bleeding within 5 to 7 days due to effect of the pill and next period may be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Lastly, she must undergo one home pregnancy test if her period is delayed more than 1 week from due date. Early test is insignificant. So, you must wait for her upcoming period and next management can be done only after pregnancy test. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking emergency contraceptive pill? 19 minutes later
thnkx for answering one thing to clear..the condom was not broken... as it was holding my most semen with no leakage in down cavity of condom.. i felt the condom was small and doesn't fits well . does 1) female release some sexual juices same as semen during sex? 2) can it be possible that during intercourse the female release juices that got stuck or associated with my upper sexual part?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) Yes, women also releases fluid due to secretion of various glands during sexual excitement. 2) Yes, fluid from vagina may stick to upper part of condom during intercourse and it is quite normal thing. 3) If you are sure that the condom was intact totally and semen was deposited within this & not outside, then chance of pregnancy is extremely rare after taking Unwanted 72 pill. Wait for her next period and do the test to be sure. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking emergency contraceptive pill? 5 hours later
thnkx for answering doc just last thing since i feel the chances are low... but still if we find pregnancy within weeks say after first week... 1) does their any pills to abort it available in indian market? if yes please suggest one medicine for it...
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for response. On positive pregnancy test, medical abortion can be done with abortion pill in the early weeks of pregnancy (up to 7 weeks). However, self administration of abortion pill is not recommended as this process is associated with several complication like excessive vaginal bleeding, vomiting, abdominal cramp, fainting etc. For safe termination of pregnancy, you have to consult with local gynecologist for complete prescription, uses, direction and in emergency purpose. Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion. Regards, Dr Soumen