What are the chances of pregnancy after protected intercourse?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Hi! This question is for an OB. I am trying NOT to get pregnant but am slightly worried about one thing. My husband and I had sex last Friday evening, November 3rd. We did not use protection but he also did not ejaculate. I have read about fluids and precum and was curious if this was something thatcould get me pregnant regardless of the fact that he did not ejaculate inside me at all.

Additionally, I track my ovulation. As of yesterday morning - my LH surge was positive meaning I was about to ovulate, within 24-36 hours. Therefore, we had sex about 4 days before ovulation, and he did not ejaculate inside me. I am worried I was in the window of ovulation and there would be a chance? I am hoping that this is not the case. Please let me know. Thanks !!
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No chance of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
If there was no ejaculation inside the vagina, there are nil chances of Pregnancy.
Sperms in the semen are alive for 3-5 days, so can fertilize the ovum if the ejaculation was there 4 days before ovulation.
However, ejaculation is the main factor.
If there was no ejaculation, then there are absolutely no chance of pregnancy.
There is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBG