What are the chances of pregnancy after having an egg retrieval procedure?

Mar 2013
hello doctor, i had my egg retreival on 30th oct and got 2 embryos tranferred today. 14 retrieved , 11 mature , 8 fertilized , 2 transferred but my follicles were 6 cell follicles on day 3 even though they were grade A and grade B my doctor was not happy as she told me she expected a blastocyst . is an embryo with 6 cells ok at day 3 or does it mean its growth has stopped? what are my chances of getting pregnant?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: EMBRYOS ARE GOOD, DO NOT WORRY. STAY POSITIVE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. By 72 hours ("day 3"), am embryo should have atleast 6 cells, and some preferably should have 8 cells also. Pregnancies have been reported even from 4 cell embryos on day 3, however the success rates increase with increasing cell number seen on day 3. Embryos that possess higher number of cells which appear regular and have no fragmentation have a higher chance of implantation than those with fewer cells , irregular cells and cells showing fragmentation. Embryo quality as seen under a microscope provides only some parameters for judging the scope of success after embryo transfer.There are various factors that cannot be ' seen ' or ' measured ' which contribute to quality of the embryo. The genetic constitution or quality of the egg and sperm and hence the embryo, cannot be really assessed via the microscope that easily. Also critical is the technique of embryo transfer. A smooth transfer with minimum damage to the lining of the uterus maximizes chances of implantation. As your embryos were otherwise perfect ( Grade A and Grade B ), I would not attach much importance merely to the number of cells present. Morever, a blastocyst is only seen 5 - 6 days after fertilization, it is too early to be seen in your case. The ultimate test of the ' quality ' of an embryo is the resultant pregnancy - till then the other factors are not complete in themselves to give you an idea. Moreover, good number of eggs were retrieved, good number were fertilized, grading was good, and transfer went smoothly - all this is a good deal in itself. Am sure you should continue to be optimistic and stay positive ( stress and worry will only negatively impact the result ). Bear in mind that even in the best of centres, and best of hands, and with the best of eggs, IVF only has a success rate of maximum 35 - 40 %. So do not worry, and stay positive. Wish you all the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy after having an egg retrieval procedure? 3 hours later
Thanks doctor for the reply My only other concern is that vaginal progesterone including creone gel and geston does not suit me as I get itching on my vagina and also I saw bruises last time when I used it. I took progesterone injection today n my arm is hurting like hell. The only progesterone that suits me is oral tablets but my doctor says it is not sufficient for ivf to be successful. Is there Nything u can suggest me?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again Basically for support to the growing pregnancy, progesterone is a must. The options are - 1. vaginal progesterone gels and tablets - these have the best absorption and the best efficiency. The newer gels like Crinone are highly safe and non irritating, am surprised that you are facing difficulties using it. Even vaginal suppositories are an excellent choice. Gels and vaginal tablets give the best results, that is for sure. 2. Next best is injectable progesterone - but you are right, it is very painful and can cause lumps, bruises and abscesses even. 3. Oral progesterone is also fine, though not as effective as vaginal route, however if you can take it , its good for you. Apart from these three routes, there is no other route. My advice is to try taking the crinone gel, as it is least irritant , if it still doesnt work for you, try taking vaginal suppositories in conjunction with oral progesterone. All the best.
Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy after having an egg retrieval procedure? 1 hour later
thanks for the reply doctor, i have tried everything but the only thing that works for me is orally taking geston tablets. when i took crinone gel my whole body got stiff and too much pain in my whole body as if it reacted with my system...should i try it again? with geston taking vaginally i got rashes on my vagina? what to do i m really worried?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: If Gestone gave you rashes, you can try Susten vaginal gel too. Crinone generally does not give the type of reaction you describe, hence you can give it one more try. Am sure one of the two gels will definitely work for you, so please dont worry or stress out. If nothing suits you, continue with the oral progesterone. Am sure the stress will harm you more than the lack of drugs :) All the best, dear.