What are the chances of height growth at age of 19?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
dear fellow, i'm a man in age 19 on 6 month years old and with height 5,5 (165 cm), i want asking about growth development in my age probably that i can grow in certain inch (2-4) probably that i want to know if its possible? i have story in my life that i have broken nose bridge but not seriously in my age 15 and 6 month after i got torn tissue in my shoulder that his make my joint bone not strong enough like then before. In my age on 15 , my height is 160 cm until my age is 17. in ranged my age is (15-17) i got a lot of nutrition for taller like milk and vitamin but this is only for fix my tissue and my nose bridge that is not seriously i think . after my tissue fix on 17 on 2 month until now i got tall in 2 inch with regular exercise. i'm a eldest brother, in my family my dad is 175cm, my second brother is 173 now that he is 18 , and my third brother is 168cm which he is 17. in my opinion, can i got my taller back like them before that they growth according as my dad without any problem like did i got? in my dad story is like me he is short until his age in 15, then range in (16-19) he got boost up for taller without regular exercise like my any brother, its different like me that i got a problem in range (16-17) in age for boost up.My question is can i got tall like my father or 170cm maybe?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 19 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query here.

I would give you some background about how height grows and then come to your question. Both the ends of our long-bones in legs have growth plate (bone tissue which can get long). Also, our spine gets long as we grow. Both of these lead to growth in height along with hormones (chemicals) secreted around age of puberty (11 yrs till about 16-17 yrs of age).

Along with growth in height, there are other pubertal changes as well - beard, moustache, body hairs, hoarse voice, growth of penis and testes, etc. You also had medical issues (nose, shoulder) during the age when the height growth is maximum. Besides that if you have a long standing medical issues, they may affect height.

At age of 19 yrs, most of the pubertal changes include growth in height would have finished. Your father mentioned that he had good growth in his height between ages of 16-19 yrs - such events are seen occasionally. Besides that, there are no approved medical treatment for increasing height unless there is deficiency of growth hormone in the body. It seems unlikely that you have growth hormone deficiency (since you already have a reasonable height of 165 cm).

In summary:
1. Chances of height growth at age of 19 are very slim
2. If I consider history given by your father, you have a small chance of gaining height (this is medically termed as - Constitutional delay of Growth and Puberty)
3. There are no approved medical treatment for height at this age group
4. Some people have tried bone elongation surgery (limb lengthening procedure). However, it is difficult to know outcome and success results of the surgery as these are not very routinely done.
5. You can try simple exercises like cycling, swimming to keep you fit, provided your shoulder problem has been sorted.

If you have any follow-up query, please do not hesitate and let me know.

All the best
Dr Tejas Shah