What are the chances of having an infection after a knee replacement surgery?

I had knee replacement surgery December third and everything has gone very well. What are the chances of having an infection at this time. There is a bit of pain, (more like stiffness), no fever, with a little redness around the knee that comes and goes. I have an appointment with my doctor Wednesday 17th. Should I be more concerned.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Apply cold compresses to the red/painful area... Detailed Answer: Hi, If you do not have any fever, and if the doctor had prescribed antibiotics after the surgery, then, there is no reason to be more concerned until the next appointment on Wednesday 17th. I advise to apply cold compresses at the place of redness around your knee and to take otc acetaminophen/ibuprofen to reduce inflammation until you see your doctor. However, if you notice anything unusual (unbearable pain, fever, etc.) during this time, I highly suggest to schedule an earlier appointment with your doctor for further evaluation. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana