Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the chances of having an UTI with negative nitrites in urine?

Excellent

Question
Hi. I have one more question. The nitrites in my urine are negative. With my leukocytes at+3 could I still have a UTI
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, there is chance Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Yes, there is chance. Presence of leukocytes may be a sign of urinary tract infection. Presence of pus cells, clarifies it. Hope I have answered your query. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!

Follow-up: What are the chances of having an UTI with negative nitrites in urine? 9 minutes later
Hi. I have one more question. The nitrites in my urine are negative. With my leukocytes at+3 could I still have a UTI Hi and thanks. I've been anemic for 2 years and I wonder if a kidney infection could be responsible. Do you think it's more likely to be my kidneys than my bladder?

Answered by Dr. Guru 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks follow up! Yes, it is possible. I can comment even more, if I get to know other parameters as well like RBC, casts, protein etc of urine examination. But there is possibility. Presence of leukocytes may be a sign of infection or other kidney disease. Take care!