What are the chances of getting pregnant with 3.7cm anterior fundal uterine fibroid?

Hi I have a 3.7cm anterior fundal uterine fibroid, the endometrial echo is slightly displaced posteriorly by the fibroid. It grew by 1cm in the past year. I am 29 and have not had kids yet but want to conceive quite soon.

Shall I and can I get pregnant with this fibroid without it causing complications like miscarriage, issues with the baby or delivery?

Or shall I do a Laparoscopic Myomectomy now? With that I'm also worried about complications and risk of fertility.

I don't know what action I should take, aim is to be able to have two babies in the next 5 years.

Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First of all, fibroids are very common and we do see them in pregnant women frequently. The fibroid that you are describing sounds like it is more in the wall of the uterus versus towards the outer surface (because of the way that it impinges on the lining). Also, it is not terribly big at this point, regardless of the interval growth over the last year.

In most cases with patients like yourself, we would not proceed with a myomectomy because of the location and risk of injury to the uterus that might affect a future pregnancy.

As far as fertility goes, it is unlikely to cause a problem unless it was somehow blocking the fallopian tubes. This is also unlikely and could not be sorted out until you had tried to get pregnant for a while, OR until you had an xray that looks at the tubes and whether they are open (called a hysterosalpingogram).

What I would recommend is:

1. Schedule a pre-conception visit with an OB/GYN
2. Have them review the ultrasound pictures with you
3. Consider that it will unlikely be a problem during a pregnancy
4. The surgery carries a higher risk to future pregnancies than the fibroid itself.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have followup questions! I am happy to clarify this further.